Have you ever wondered about social media usage in Australia?
In this short blog you will find some statistics that might help you with your social media strategy and planning.
According to Statista, social media usage in Australia has increased continually. As you can see in the graph below, in January 2021 almost 80% of the population were active users compared to just 58% in 2015.
What are the most popular social media brands?
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020 was a tough year for individuals and businesses. But it was a year of gains for social media platforms. Civic Web Media statistics for the end of 2020 reveal that all of the top 10 platforms either reported huge gains or remained steady year on year. As per 31 December 2020, the most popular platforms by number of monthly Australian visitors are as follows:
- Facebook – 16.5 million
- YouTube – 16 million
- Instagram – 9 million
- WhatsApp – 8 million
- LinkedIn – 6.5 million
- Snapchat – 6.4 million
- WordPress – 6.1 million
- Twitter – 5.8 million
- Tinder – 4 million (estimate)
- Tumblr – 3.7 million
Links to other statistics and demographics
You can also find demographics and other usage statistics on the following blogs and pages:
- Hootsuite – The Global state of Digital 2020 > Regional Reports > Australia Report
- SocialMediaNews – Social Media Statistics Australia – February 2021
- Social Media Statistics for Australia (Updated March ’21) – Genroe blog
- Statista – Number of Facebook users in Australia from 2015 to 2022